Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce Recipe
Chicken Satay Recipe
Concertinas of tender chicken, served with a chili-flavored peanut sauce, are irresistible, garnish with sliced fresh red chilies for extra fire.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast portions
10ml /2 tsp soft light brown sugar For the marinade
5ml/1 tsp cumin seeds
5ml/1 tsp fennel seeds
7.5ml/1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
6 small onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed
3 macadamia nuts or 6 cashew nuts
2.5ml/1/2 tsp ground turmeric
For the peanut sauce
4 small onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1cm/1/2in cube shrimp paste
6 cashew nuts or almonds
2 lemongrass stalks, trimmed, lower 5cm/2in sliced
45ml/3 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra
5-10ml/1-2 tsp chilli powder
400m1/14f1 oz can coconut milk
60-75mI/4-5 tbsp tamarind water or 30ml/2 tbsp tamarind concentrate mixed with 45ml /3 tbsp water
15ml/1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
175g/6oz/1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1. Cut the chicken into 16 thin strips, sprinkle with the sugar and set aside.
2. Make the marinade. Dry-fry the spices, then grind to a powder in a food processor. Set aside. Add the onions and garlic to the processor. Chop the lower 5cm/2in of the lemongrass and add with the nuts, spices, and turmeric. Grind to a paste; scrape into a bowl.
3. Add the chicken and stir well until coated. Cover loosely with clear film (plastic wrap) and leave to marinate for at least 4 hours. Soak 16 bamboo skewers for 1 hour in a bowl of warm water before use to prevent scorching.
4. Prepare the sauce. Pound or process the onions with the garlic and shrimp paste. Add the nuts and the lower parts of the lemongrass stalks. Process to a fine purée, Heat the oil in a wok and fry the purée for 2-3 minutes. Add the chili powder and cook for 2 minutes more.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and bring slowly to the boil. Reduce the heat and stir in the tamarind water and brown sugar. Add the peanut butter and cook over low heat, stirring gently, until fairly thick. Keep warm. Prepare the barbecue or preheat the grill (broiler).
6. Thread the chicken on to the bamboo skewers. Cook on the barbecue or under the grill for about 5 minutes or until golden and tender, brushing with oil occasionally. Serve with the hot peanut sauce handed around in a separate bowl.