Chili, Tomato and Spinach Pizza Recipe
This richly flavored topping with a hint of spice makes a colorful and satisfying pizza. added to a ready-made pizza base, it makes the cook’s life really easy.
1-2 fresh red chilies
50g/2oz/1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained, plus 45ml/3 tbsp oil from the jar
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
400g/14oz can of chopped tomatoes 15ml/1 tbsp tomato purée (paste)
175g/6oz fresh spinach
1 ready-made pizza base, 25-30cm/10-12in in diameter
75g/3oz/3/4 cup grated (shredded) smoked Bavarian cheese
75g/3oz/3/4 cup grated (shredded) mature (sharp) Cheddar cheese
salt and ground black pepper
1. Slit the chilies, open them out and use a sharp knife to scrape out the seeds. Chop the flesh finely.
2. Heat 30m1/2 tbsp of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes in a pan, add the chopped onion, garlic and chilies, and fry gently for about5 minutes until the onions are soft. Do not let them brown.
3. Roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes. Add them to the pan with the canned chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, and seasoning. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas 7. Remove the stalks from the spinach and wash the leaves in plenty of cold water. Drain well and pat dry with kitchen paper. Roughly chop
5. Add the spinach to the sauce and stir gently. Cook, stirring, for a further 5-10 minutes until the spinach has wilted and no excess moisture remains.
6. Brush the pizza base with the remaining tomato oil, then spoon over the sauce. Sprinkle over the cheeses and bake for 15-20 minutes or for the time recommended on the packaging of the pizza base, until crisp and golden. Serve immediately.