Spicy Potato Wedges with Chili Dip
These dry-roasted spicy potato wedges with crisp spicy crusts are delicious with the chili dip.
2 baking potatoes, about 225g/ 8oz each
30ml/2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
5ml/1 tsp ground allspice
5ml/1 tsp ground coriander
15ml/1 tbsp paprika
salt and ground black pepper For the dip
15ml/1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
200g/7oz can chopped tomatoes
1 fresh red chili, seeded and finely chopped
15ml/1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
15ml/1 tbsp chopped, fresh coriander
(cilantro), plus extra to garnishPreheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Cut the potatoes in half, then into 8 wedges.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Cut the potatoes in half, then into 8 wedges.
2. Add the wedges to a pan of cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the wedges have softened slightly but the flesh has not started to disintegrate. Drain well and pat dry on kitchen paper.
3. Mix the olive oil, garlic, allspice, coriander and paprika in a roasting pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the potatoes to the pan and shake to coat them thoroughly. Roast for 20 minutes, until the potato wedges are browned, crisp and fully cooked. Turn the potato wedges occasionally during the roasting time.
4. Meanwhile, make the chili dip. Heat the oil in a small pan, add the onion and garlic, and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft.
5. Tip in the chopped tomatoes, with any juice. Stir in the chili and vinegar. Cook gently for 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced and thickened, then taste and check the seasoning. Stir in the chopped fresh coriander.
6. Pile the spicy potato wedges on a plate, garnish with the extra coriander and serve with the chili dip.
Instead of balsamic vinegar, try brown rice vinegar, which has a mellow flavor.
To save time, par-boil the potatoes and toss them with the spices in advance, but make sure that the potato wedges are perfectly dry and completely covered in the spice mixture before roasting.