Warming Spinach and Rice Soup Recipe
The chili adds just a flicker of fire to this light and fresh tasting soup made using very young spinach leaves and risotto rice.
675g/1 1/2lb fresh spinach, washed 45ml/3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small fresh red chili, seeded and finely chopped
115g / 4oz / generous 1/2 cup risotto rice
1.2 litres / 2 pints / 5 cups
60mI/4 tbsp grated (shredded) Pecorino cheese
salt and ground black pepper
1. Place the spinach in a large pan with just the water that clings to its leaves. Add a pinch of salt. Heat until the spinach has wilted, then remove from the heat and drain, reserving any liquid.
2. Either chop the spinach finely using a large knife or place in a food processor and process briefly to achieve a fairly coarse purée.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan and gently cook the onion, garlic, and chili for
4-5 minutes until softened but not browned. Stir in the risotto rice until well coated with the mixture.
4. Pour in the stock and reserved spinach liquid. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the spinach, with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5-7 minutes more, until the rice, is tender. Check the seasoning and serve in heated soup plates or bowls, with the Pecorino cheese sprinkled over.